At a glance
The AWM (Abfallwirtschaftsbetrieb München) in 2009
- Staff: 1349
- Vehicles: 350
- Waste containers: 407.000
- Work yards: 4
- Recycling centers: 12
- Residential waste:
313.500 megagrams of residual waste/year
100.600 megagrams of wastepaper/year
40.300 megagrams of organic waste/year
- Industrial residual waste: 32.700 megagrams/year
- Average cost for a 4-person household/year: 115,44 €
- All-inclusive rate: 3-bin system, waste containers (3 types of waste, 10 sizes), emptying with full-service, recycling yards and hazardous waste collection truck, consultation and informative material, christmas tree disposal
The AWM, as a municipal corporation, stands for
- Ecological waste treatment
- Separation of reusable and recyclable materials
- Services of General Interest (SGI) in accordance with Article 16 of the Treaty of Amsterdam
- Local autonomy and subsidiarity
- Climate protection
- 1300 jobs with a social employer
This means: no shipment of waste to other countries, no eco-dumping voluntary services for environmental protection, such as the use of low-sulphur diesel fuel and silent trucks.
The AWM demonstrates social responsibility
- By placing contracts to non-profit organizations (shredding service, composting service, operation of the staff canteens).
- By passing on used objects and electronic scrap from the collection for repairtraining, recycling and sale.
Through many years of cooperation with social projects, the AWM supports the integration of people with disabilities and long-term unemployed into the work world.